Call for papers: language contact in times of globalization

LCTG lctg at let.rug.nl
Mon Oct 10 13:56:46 UTC 2005

*** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTINGS ***

First International Conference on Language Contact in Times of Globalization

University of Groningen, September 28-30, 2006

CALL FOR PAPERS

The past decade has witnessed a growing interest in the study of linguistic effects of language contact. Due to rapid globalization and increased migration, people are ever more exposed to other languages, both related and unrelated. The aim of the Groningen conference is to explore the linguistic effects of globalization and migration in societies all over the world. We particularly invite papers adressing the conference theme, but in order to put these issues in a broader historical and theoretical perspective, we also welcome papers on other current issues in the study of language contact and language change. Plenary speakers will be Prof.dr. Pieter Muysken (Radboud University Nijmegen), Dr. Ricardo Otheguy (City University of New York) and Prof.dr. Kurt Braunmüller, (Universität Hamburg).

Registration

For preliminary registration, send an e-mail message to lctg at let.rug.nl.  If you wish to present a paper, please provide us with a provisional title.  Once you have registered, you will receive the first circular containing  information on conference themes, plenary speakers, submission of  abstracts, travel to Groningen and accommodation. For more information you  may also visit our website: http://odur.let.rug.nl/~dejonge/invest/lctg/

Conference registration is 100 Euro until May 1, 2006. Late or on-site registration  will be 120 Euro. Early registration for students is 50 euro, late registration 60 euro. Please bring some kind of identification to prove that you are a student.

Abstracts

Scholars are  invited to submit abstracts for 40-minute papers (including 10 minute  discussion time). Deadline for abstracts is February 1, 2006. Notification of acceptance will be sent out by March 1. If you require earlier notification, let us know, and we will send you our reply at an earlier date (though not before January 1, 2006).

Organizing committee

Cornelius Hasselblatt, Bob de Jonge & Muriel Norde, University of Groningen

Conference address

Organizers of Language contact in times of globalization

Scandinavian Languages and Cultures

University of Groningen

P.O. Box 716

9700 AS Groningen