Six Laws of Language: An Addendum

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 05:22:35 UTC 2005

I hope Alex will forgive me for taking a tangent to his post.  I find a good
deal of his Six Laws very compelling.  But I thought I might humbly offer some
corollaries that might be worth considering.

Alex wrote:
<< If two people do not share sufficient context, then not all the words in
the world may be enough for them to grasp each other's meaning. >>

Supplemental Law #1 - "Chocolate!  Chocolate!":  Understanding and meaning
are NOT the objectives of language.

- Common understanding and meaning are merely a frequent operational
requirement of language, not the ultimate objective.  They are equivalent to two
football teams agreeing on what is out-of-bounds, where the goal lines are and who
gets the ball, often even as the game is being played.  But this is not WHY
the game is being played.

The ancient and reasonable metaphor that makes language a shared "mirror of
the world" does not explain the purpose of language, but rather how it
operates.  Grammar, syntax or any other structural aspect of language makes common
understanding manageable.

But all these features of language are the means and not the ends.  A lot of
the mystery of language may come from artificially focusing on the means
rather than the ends.

Thus the parable:  A man is visiting a chocolate factory.  He accidentially
falls into a vat.  About to drown in the melted confection, he yells "Fire!
Fire!"  When rescued, he is asked why he yelled, "Fire!  Fire!"  He replies,
"Well, do you think if I yelled "Chocolate!  Chocolate!" any one would have come?"

As Alex implies, the "right word" is sometimes not the grammatically correct
word, nor is it even the word as understood by the speaker.  I can say the
wrong thing, but it can have a happy outcome.

The right word is basically the word that will produce a desired change in
the listener -- or change how the listener responds.  Grammar may aid common
understanding.  Common understanding may aid the speaker in affecting the
listener.  But affecting the listener is the objective.

Neither grammar nor common understanding are the ultimate objective of the
speaker -- except if you are a language teacher.

Alex also wrote:
<<...often the content of the message must also change to some extent, if
fully successful communication is to take place.>>

Supplemental Law #2 - "'Heed my words, Pinocchio,!' hiccuped the Cat":  A
communication is not successful if it doesn't work, understanding not
withstanding.

- Corollary to Supp Law #1.  Language success certainly can't be measured as
a meeting of minds.  In fact, what the speaker really thinks may be irrelevant
to the form and content of a "successful" message.  Deceptive language for
example may be nearly as old as language itself, so there's no justification for
measuring success against what the speaker is really thinking.

It is possible, however, that we might measure success by whether the
listener understands what the speaker WANTS him to understand -- whether it's
accurate or inaccurate, true or false.

This is still an incomplete measure.  What if the listener understands the
message, but does not act accordingly?  Should we consider that effective
communication?

If I say "Stop! a car is coming" and the listener understands me, but goes
anyway and gets hit by a car, do I really consider that a successful
communication?

If all that human language were used for was creating understanding, then I
would consider my communication successful whether the listener got run over or
not, as long as he got my drift.

A lot of mystery about language is created by arbitrarily terminating it at
understanding.  As if what happened because words worked or didn't work had no
connection to the words themselves.  As if humans only used language to create
an understanding, rather than to benefit themselves in many other ways.

That is a very non-Darwinian view of language.  It means that that human
language could evolve because it created understanding, without regard to whether
that understanding was effective or ineffective, accurate or inaccurate.
Using words in a way that created understanding in listeners, but was ineffective
at helping a human survive, would make language an undesirable trait.

Regards,
Steve Long