criticisms of grammaticalization

Martin Hilpert hilpert at rice.edu
Sat Feb 25 18:11:47 UTC 2006

Dear Funknetters,

I'd like to find out whether anyone has addressed the following two
theoretical criticisms against grammaticalization theory:

1. Unidirectionality, if it exists, is an even greater problem for
functionalism than if it turns out to be false. Developments that span
centuries would have to be explained independently of speakers, who only
have access to three generations of other speakers. (I attribute this one to
Janda 2001.)

2. Grammaticalization should really be decomposed into its independently
existing component processes. There's no point in granting explanatory power
to an epiphenomenon. (Newmeyer 1998, Joseph 2001, amongst others)

Any references - or spontaneous reactions - will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, --Martin

Martin Hilpert
Rice University
Department of Linguistics MS 23