criticisms of grammaticalization

Joan Bybee jbybee at unm.edu
Sat Feb 25 20:48:25 UTC 2006

Dear Martin,

Point 1 is only a problem if you assume that language change takes place in
language acquisition. If you assume that grammaticization is driven by
processes that occur as language is used, by everyone all the time, then
unidirectionality is what you would expect.

Point 2: of course it's an epiphenomenon! All of grammar is epiphenomenal.

Joan