criticisms of grammaticalization

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Mon Feb 27 09:40:59 UTC 2006

Everybody,

An aside: must we constantly equate epiphenomena with evolution? The results
of some kinds of evolution may be epiphenomena, but the two are not the same.

Take a classic demonstration of an epiphenomenon in Conway's
"Life" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life). The "glider"
moves across the screen. This movement is an epiphenomenon, but it is not
evolutionary.

This distinction is important. For instance I believe grammar to be an
epiphenomenon of corpus generalization. Most people confuse this with the
gradual evolution of grammar, and so miss my argument completely.

I think the association of Paul Hopper's emergent grammar with
grammaticalization is an error of the same kind, perhaps one largely shared
by Paul himself.

Anyway, back to the point. What were Newmeyer etc's arguments against the
explanatory power of an epiphenomenon, Martin?

-Rob