criticisms of grammaticalization

Anette Rosenbach ar at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Feb 27 14:03:41 UTC 2006

Dear Martin,

In a recent paper Gerhard Jäger and I try to show that an account of
unidirectionality and a speaker/usage-based approach to language change do
not exclude each other, quite the opposite. We argue that at least two cases
of unidirectional change (the pathway from spatial to temporal expressions
and phonological reduction) may be connected to evidence for asymmetric
priming reported in the (psycho-)linguistic literature. We suggest that
unidirectionality is ultimately decomposable into atomic steps of asymmetric
priming in language change. That is, in our account, unidirectionality quite
neatly falls out from language usage, which is, I think, in line with what
Joan Bybee said in her reply.

Ultimately, we also want to incorporate these ideas into an evolutionary
approach to language change. The paper contains some first suggestions in
this direction; for those interested, it is availabe on Gerhard Jäger's
website: http://www.uni-bielefeld.de/lili/personen/gjaeger/.

Anette Rosenbach