Monkey Broca, Wernicke?

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Jul 26 17:49:13 UTC 2006

Neuroscience advances somewhat fitfully. For every announced new
discovery,  there is sooner or later (more often sooner) a finding
pointing in another direction. This is because of the complexity &
distributiveness of most higher cognitive system. Another instasnce, I
suppose, of the three blind men describing the elephant. So first, we
need to be cautious about evaluating 'radical new discoveries',
particularly about language (which is the most complex & distributive
capacity supported by the brain).

More to the point, the function-specific regions ("modules") of the
cortex  ('periphery') are all  mamalian evolutionary projections from
the *limbic-thalamic sub-cortex*. This is true of vision, audition,
motor control, somatic-sensory areas, attention, episodic & semantic
memories, etc. And for most of those 'higher' cortical capacities, the
limbic-thalamic areas remain part of the functional system--in a a
*distributive network* (see e.g. M-M. Mesulam's  "Principles of
Behavioral & Cognitive Neurology", 2nd edition,  Oxford U. Press, 2000
as a major source on this. But there is a vast  lit. on the subject).

Thus, because so many of the cognitive capacities that support human
language are  the outgrowth of (functionally amenable) pre-linguistic
capacities, the limbic-thalamic areas are implicated in almost all
brain-activity related to language processing. And the pre-human primate
brain is so close to ours in its general architecture, there's no reason
to assume that the same core-periphery relation doesn't apply there.

So if at one time research implicates a cortical area ('periphery')  and
at another a sub-cortical one ('core') in executing the same function,
be it linguistic or pre-linguistic, it is because* both* are implicated.
Keep on truckin'.  TG