Monkey Broca, Wernicke?

Daniel Everett dlevere at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 26 18:04:52 UTC 2006

Tom's posting is a very useful one. Too many strange claims are
floating about that require a degree of cortical localization. But
any rigid specialization proposed is almost certainly premature at
this point.

A couple of sources are:

Pulvermüller, Friedman. (2002). The neuroscience of language: on
brain circuits of words and serial order. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.

Brook, Andrew and Kathleen Akins, eds. 2005. Cognition and the Brain:
The philosophy and neuroscience movement. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.

Dan

On 26 Jul 2006, at 13:49, Tom Givon wrote:

> Neuroscience advances somewhat fitfully. For every announced new
> discovery,  there is sooner or later (more often sooner) a finding
> pointing in another direction. This is because of the complexity &
> distributiveness of most higher cognitive system. Another
> instasnce, I suppose, of the three blind men describing the
> elephant. So first, we need to be cautious about evaluating
> 'radical new discoveries', particularly about language (which is
> the most complex & distributive capacity supported by the brain).
>
> More to the point, the function-specific regions ("modules") of the
> cortex  ('periphery') are all  mamalian evolutionary projections
> from the *limbic-thalamic sub-cortex*. This is true of vision,
> audition, motor control, somatic-sensory areas, attention, episodic
> & semantic memories, etc. And for most of those 'higher' cortical
> capacities, the limbic-thalamic areas remain part of the functional
> system--in a a *distributive network* (see e.g. M-M. Mesulam's
> "Principles of Behavioral & Cognitive Neurology", 2nd edition,
> Oxford U. Press, 2000 as a major source on this. But there is a
> vast  lit. on the subject).
>
> Thus, because so many of the cognitive capacities that support
> human language are  the outgrowth of (functionally amenable) pre-
> linguistic capacities, the limbic-thalamic areas are implicated in
> almost all brain-activity related to language processing. And the
> pre-human primate brain is so close to ours in its general
> architecture, there's no reason to assume that the same core-
> periphery relation doesn't apply there.
>
> So if at one time research implicates a cortical area
> ('periphery')  and at another a sub-cortical one ('core') in
> executing the same function, be it linguistic or pre-linguistic, it
> is because* both* are implicated. Keep on truckin'.  TG
>
> =======================

*********************
Daniel L. Everett
Outgoing (as of August 2006) Profesor of Phonetics and Phonology
School of Languages, Linguistics, and Cultures
University of Manchester
Manchester, UK M13 9PL
http://ling.man.ac.uk/info/staff/DE/DEHome.html
Incoming Chairperson
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Campus Box 4300
Illinois State University
Normal, Illinois
61790-4300