A query...

Daniel L. Everett dlevere at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 24 16:22:46 UTC 2006

Andrew,

There is no easy way around the tenure problem. One might propose:

1. pre-tenure faculty (not PhD students!) should truncate this kind
of project, unless they have something in writing from their
university guaranteeing them that it will award tenure for data-bases
in progress, etc. - - these folks could save the data-base/on-line
aspects until after they have tenure.

2. tenured faculty - no excuses. Do it the long way.

I have read many grammars that I am skeptical about at points. But I
have no way of checking it out, unless I actually visit the people
and do my own field research (which in phonology I have done - i.e. I
have visited villages and spent a few days recording and analyzing
phonological data, especially prosody, because the claims I had read
seemed unlikely. For example one language/people that I still want to
visit or would like sound files of is the Arawan language, Culina,
for which Pike - many, many years ago - claimed that there were no
syllables. Since the dictionary of Culina has words that look like
all the other Arawan languages (and I have done fieldwork on all of
those) I am betting that Culina has CV and CVV syllables (not the V
and CV that some claim) like all the other Arawan languages. If the
data were on-line, it would help resolve this mystery - just to take
a random example).

Dan