PirahN

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 18:00:24 UTC 2007

 n a message dated 4/25/07 10:13:30 AM, Mike_Cahill at sil.org writes:
<<Isn't this conflating recursion and hierarchy?... The difference is that
each atom of a molecule is on the same level as other atoms - we don't have
atoms within atoms. Recursion is embedding - clause within clause, etc. Repetition
is not recursion. >>

Well, there's another approach that adds some functional emphasis, rather
than just observing this structural feature without direct concern with why it
would be there.  Some "hierarchical" repetitive patterns serve the purpose of
reducing uncertainty (e.g., Fibonacci).  Information theory would call such an
element "redundancy" whether it is "recursive" or not.

I hope this kind of approach will be at your conference, Dan.

Steve Long