Fwd: ASL and foreign languages: Critical Update

Sherman Wilcox wilcox at unm.edu
Fri Mar 23 02:10:49 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

I wonder if I could solicit your assistance. I am forwarding to this
list an email message I received from P. Vincent Riley, who contacted
me for assistance regarding the issue of accepting American Sign
Language (ASL) in fulfillment of foreign language requirements. As
you'll see from his message, he had been in contact with an
organization called the American Academy for Liberal Education.

If you will read through the message from Jeff A. Martineau with that
organization, you'll see that he and his organization hold some
astoundingly misinformed ideas about ASL: that it is a visual form of
English, that it is universal (does he not see the contradiction in
those two statements?), that it is "not a separate frame of reference
for thinking."

No matter your position on whether ASL should meet foreign language
requirements -- I happen to think it should, but I also recognize
that reasonable people might disagree on exactly which languages
should meet undergraduate FL requirements -- I hope you will agree
that these kinds of misinformed views need to be corrected. If you
agree would you consider writing a message to Mr. Martineau?

Thank you,

--
Sherman Wilcox, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair