A Review That Wasn't

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 23 14:23:31 UTC 2007

As far as I know, the only paid reviews (in our area of academia, anyway) come from the publisher: they usually pay one fairly decently to PRE-review a book ms. to help them decide whether to publish it, and they typically pay a small fee for people who are willing to say something nice for the promotional materials.  Does anyone know of exceptions to this?

  "Commissioned" in the context of a review by a linguistics journal just means that the review editor will undertake to get an appropriate scholar to review the book, nothing more.

Lise