Reviews That Were

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Oct 23 14:57:11 UTC 2007

I think it would be good if we as a field realized -- sooner rather than
later -- that the traditional way of commenting publicly on each other's
work, in the form of book reviews that sometimes appear many years after
the book, is becoming rapidly outdated.

The future of scientific communication evidently lies in online
publications, blogs, etc., and online publications can easily be
enhanced by online reviews, online comments, etc.

In a few years' time, we will probably have the first linguistics
journals that work in the following way: As soon as a paper is
submitted, it is made available on the journal's site, and public
comments are invited. After a brief veetting procedure, most of these
are published alongside the paper, and after a while the editors decide
whether to give the contribution "officially published" status (perhaps
after suitable revision). If a paper is denied that status, it can stay
there (in limbo, but still accessible) or it can be withdrawn and
submitted elsewhere.

Well, this is just one model of so many possibilities. But we should not
invest many energies into the good old book review anymore. It will be a
nice memory for the older generation, but the future lies elsewhere.

Greetings,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)