Rules vs. Lists

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Wed Jul 2 13:18:50 UTC 2008

Rob,

Here is where the concept of "functional equivalence" is very helpful. If
two ways of describing a phenomenon give the same results, then they are
functionally equivalent. That means that in essence, they are the same --
at least as far as results of calculation are concerned. (Considerations
of processing limitations might show that one works better for a given
hardware configuration than another, but that is a somewhat different
issue.)

Rules and lists are functionally equivalent. Logically speaking, they are
the same.

When there are more rules than examples of their application, we call it a
list-based system. When there are many more examples of the application of
a rule than different rules, then we call it a rule-based system.

That's just about different methods of arriving at the same result, and is
strictly a processing issue. In terms of describing the language, rather
than the speakers, however, there is no difference. It's all the same.

In order to appreciate this, we have to be able to distinguish the
structure of the language from the structure of the speaker.

Best,

    --Aya