Rules vs. Lists

David Tuggy david_tuggy at sil.org
Thu Jul 3 00:11:21 UTC 2008

I'm afraid I'm not following you, Rob.

Why is there still argument? Well, no reason *my* papers should have
settled it, particularly, but from my viewpoint practically all the
arguments I've seen have come because people still hanker after a simple
choice of either rules or lists, but don't want to accept both.

Why keep the lists? Because people (language users) do. And keep rules
for the same reason.

I don't know what you mean by "the power lists can give you … to
represent rules".

I don't think that "abstracting rules will always be an economy." I
don't think we do it to be economical, but because we like to see what
things that we know have in common, and (secondarily in some logical
sense) we like to make other things like them.

I don't believe we (or at least I) extract all the rules our data might
support. I've had, and I expect all of us have had, repeatedly, the
experience of having someone point out a generality and immediately
sensing either (a) Of course, I already half knew that, and (b) Whoa!
Really?? I would *never* have seen that! (But sure enough, it’s there in
the data.) The (a) response fits for me with the idea that I do in fact
have some rules in my head and can recognize at least some of them, even
when they are less than fully conscious. The (b) experience fits with
the idea  that not all possible generalizations are of that type:
already there and only needing to be wakened into consciousness.

If it should turn out that there are, entrenched in the minds of users
of a language, more rules than pieces of data by some metric applied at
some level, it wouldn't shake me up very badly. (By my lights the "data"
themselves are schemas: *everything* that constitutes a language is a
pattern, i.e. is schematic, is a generalization over specifics, is a rule.)

If you're trying to argue that the rules are generated anew (all of
them) whenever needed, I don't see any reason to think that is true, and
several reasons for not thinking it. I don't see why "the complexity,
power, or number of rules which can be generalized" is the only
important point: to me the complexity, power or number of rules that
actually are generalized, and entrenched as conventional in users'
minds, is at least as important. It is only those rules, not the
potential ones, that constitute the languages they speak.

But as I say, I'm not sure I'm understanding you.

--David Tuggy