Concerning WALS

Wolfgang Schulze Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
Sat Nov 8 09:01:39 UTC 2008

Dear friends,
I want to briefly come back to a point made by Matthew:

> But the theoretical questions that I'm most interested in are
> questions of the form "What are languages like?" I'm interested in
> theories about the range of typological variation and the limits on
> this variation.  I'm also interested in theories about why languages
> are the way they are, but for me those questions are more like a hobby
> than the core of what I do as a linguist.
Possible answers to the question "What are languages like?" necessarily
entail a number of (hidden) assumptions about the question "Why
languages are the way they are". First, you set up a class of (say)
'objects' delimiting from other possible 'objects' ("language"). This
classification thus includes a definition of the class at issue. For
instance, you may say that 'language' is the structural coupling of
patterns of motoric activities related to 'breath obstruction'
(articulation) and conceptual patterns. Or, you may say that this
coupling may likewise involve motoric patterns related to mimics,
gesture etc. (thus including e.g. sign languages). The overall quality
of the definiendum thus depends from which position you take (or: which
definiens you select). Accordingly, the choice of the definiens
automatically addresses questions about the ontology of the definiendum.
Which position so ever you take: The choice would (in science) reflect a
theoretical segment that is, however, less often spoken out in fuller
details. In other words: Matthew's 'hobby' is fundamental for answering
his original question. The same holds for 'variation': In order to
'observe' variations within a class set up by definition (!), you have
to select deviating features. Yet, the act of observing differences
depends from the point of view of the observer: For instance, if you
start from the class of 'cars' (defined how so ever), you have multiple
choices concerning the selection of features: The cars themselves do not
tell the observer, which features are different, but it is the observer
who decides (types of wheels, number of wheels, color, shape of the
autobody, carriage, functions etc.). Moreover, it is the observer who
sets up 'theories' about which features are comparable even though they
may have different shapes. Who tells the observer that for instance (in
linguistics) the Turkish inferential -mIS can be included into a class
of variation that is also present with the (say) German modal pattern
'er soll + Perfect' (Turkic gitmiS ~ German 'er soll gegangen sein')?
The choice of the tertium comparationis presupposes that we first decide
(!) on the comparability of the items in question. And again, this
decision is grounded in theory (be it pronounced or not). Note that in
my sense, 'theory' does not necessarily mean a full fledged
construction. Here, 'theory' refers to any schematic pattern that
because active in a (scientific) cognition when perceiving/observing
linguistic 'worlds'.

I'm left with the impression that the present debate brings us back to
discussions that went on 30-40 years ago: The (Phoney) Linguistic War
between East Coast and West Coast Linguistics conditioned that quite a
number of linguists turned away and practiced what has been called
'business-as-usual linguistics'. This scientific behavior seems to be a
general tendency in case theory-driven debates exclude people not
willing to enter one of the camps (a teacher of mine once had
polemically termed this pattern 'Scientific Biedermeier'). Still, I am
not sure whether this 'drawback' (to business-as-usual linguistics) can
be more than just a 'pause' in the debate on what Matthew has addressed
in the question "Why languages are the way they are?". I think that,
today, it is crucial to openly articulate one's own position with
respect to this question that underlies - as I have said above - the
question "What are languages like?". Even a 'hunter and gatherer' of
linguistic data must have an idea about what is the 'use' of collecting
these data and according to which 'recipe' (s)he collects them. Here,
the three standard paradigms ('something is the way it has become'
(causa efficiens; 'mythology'), 'something is the way it is' (causa
formalis; 'descriptivism'), and 'something is for what is has been
designed' (causa finalis; 'utopy')) cannot be separated except for
short-living heuristic purposes. The global scientific paradigm usually
focuses upon one of these positions (today, the causa efficiens being
the main target of ontology, contrary to say 30 years ago, when the
causa finalis played the major role). However, we cannot (or: must not)
escape from the others.....

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze
  *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

*Neue Adresse / New address*

Ludwigstraße 25

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary) [1.OG, R
102]

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office) [1. OG, R
105]

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-5345