Concerning WALS

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Mon Nov 10 14:22:07 UTC 2008

Bernd,

Let me emphasize that (1) what I am talking about is a matter of personal taste;
and (2) I'm not questioning the value of explanatory work.  I have done work both
in constructing theories about what languages are like and in explaining why they
are that way, and while each are a source of satisfaction in their own way,
ultimately I find the former more satisfying.  I understand perfectly well why
there are others who find the latter more satisfying.  The field benefits from
having both sorts of linguists.

My email was in response to Tom's original email that seemed to interpret the
difference, not as a matter of personal taste, but as a matter of difference in
belief.  (I say "Tom's original email", since in a response he sent just to me,
he did recognize that a difference in temperament was at least part of the
picture.)  And his email seemed not to recognize that there is a large body of
theoretical work in typology that essentially involves theories of what languages
are like rather than explanations for why they are that way.

So to answer your question, Bernd, while I get more personal satisfaction from
theories about what languages are like, I don't stop there.  I am interested in
functional explanations for why they are that way, I engage in such work myself
to some extent, and I certainly hope that others do as well.

Now I recognize that there is another very different body of work that could also
be characterized as being about what languages are like, namely work in
generative grammar, that does not aim at going beyond that (apart from
attributing things to innateness).  But functionalists should not let such work
give the idea of theories about what languages are like a "bad name".

Nor should we accept the generative linguists' view of work in typology that
characterizes what languages are like as atheoretical.  Too many typologists and
functionalists seem to accept that view.

Matthew

On Fri 11/07/08  9:01 PM , Bernd Heine bernd.heine at uni-koeln.de sent: