Concerning WALS - Bees, Bats, Butterflies

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 03:48:47 UTC 2008

In a message dated 11/7/08 12:50:44 PM, dryer at buffalo.edu writes:
> <<For another, even if the explanandum is something that we can
> be fairly confident of, hypotheses about why languages are the way they are
> ultimately just that, hypotheses.  All too often, they are untestable and
> unfalsifiable and always will be.>>

A Quick Comment.   Early natural histories organized groups of animals
according to categories that we find odd these days.   Birds and bats and
butterflies were all things that fly, so they were grouped together.   Now this was not
so much a theory, or even a hypothesis, as it was a way of giving some kind of
organization to that part of the natural world.   A random organization makes
a presentation of data difficult for any audience.

Modern biology textbooks often poo-poo the categories of the old natural
historians because modern biology views them from the point of view of modern
theories of temporal evolution and relateness.   That birds, bats and butterflies
all fly is a coincidence from that perspective.

But, of course, in terms of physics, birds and bats and butterflies do indeed
have something in common -- in the sense of their main method of motion.
These three not-closely-related animal forms do share a common solution to the
problem of motion, even if each particular solution arose independently.   What
appears to be an erroneous grouping actually does inform us about how
external contingencies can lead to a common solution, DESPITE a lack of direct
relatedness.   An important aspect of evolution.   And possibly of language.

So, is WALS the equivalent of the old naive natural histories, slapping
together linguistic forms on some superficial sense of typology?   I don't think
so.   The real question is how the groupings end up working with everything
else.   How does one explain all these "typologies?"

The worse possible reaction is to belittle the process as a mere
"hypothesis."   Hypotheses are the meat of any REAL science.   Any theory that does not
yield testable hypotheses, by long and hallowed tradition, sucks.  It seems to
me that the organization of WALS constitutes some sort of hypothesis.   It is
just a matter of someone somewhere actually stating it, and making some
testable predictions based on it.   If A, B, C, are here, then where would we expect
to find D?

Stating that all the observable language structures are in reality one
structure does not help, because it doesn't explain why there is more than one human
language.   We need a sensible description of the process, the mechanism --
given the data. Which means we need a Copernicus, not a Chomsky or a Greenberg.
  We need a way to say all this makes sense, if we just put the sun in the
center.   (At this point, I'm afraid a Darwin or Einstein are down the road a
bit, for linguistics.)

In the mean time, WALS is a collection of data organized from some general
point of view.   If there is a Copernican solution to the data, then please have
at it.   In the meantime, we need to be satisfied with bats and bees and
butterfies living together, all under the same chapter heading.

Regards,
Steve Long