Concerning WALS - Bees, Bats, Butterflies

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 14:04:38 UTC 2008

In a message dated 11/10/08 2:09:41 AM, dharv at mail.optusnet.com.au writes:
> <<A reminder that it was Kepler who formulated the planetary laws, and a
> comment that Chomsky has in common with Galileo a discipline-changing body of
> work>>

To be exact, there was a large body of data before Copernicus (and Kepler).
Astronomers and mariners were able to predict the movement of objects in the
sky reasonably well.

However, all this data was INTERPRETED with a theory that demanded all sorts
of epi-cycles, whistles and bells in order to be consistent with the data.
It was not that Ptolemy and pre-Copernican astronomy was inconsistent with the
data.   It was that it jumped through all sorts of hoops to keep the earth at
the center of the solar system.

What Copernicus did was change the CENTER of the theory, and all that
complexity evaporated.   One might suggest that what Chomsky did was put the wrong
object at the center of linguistics and sent it jumping through comparable
hoops.

Kepler, having better data, added the ellipse to the equation.   But the
"laws" of plantery motion awaited Newton.   You needed a Copernicus before you
could get to a Newton.

Gallileo was, and got in trouble for being, a Copernican.   He had the center
right.   Chomsky is a Chomskyan.   His work is as admirable as the
Alexandrians, but it still unfortunately has the earth as the center of the universe.
What we need is someone to do a Copernicus on it.

Regards,
Steve Long