attention?

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Tue Apr 7 22:37:09 UTC 2009

Thanks, Keith. I'm glad there's the beginning of a debate. Let's just
make sure that this NOT about genetic determination, nor about
modularity, nor about innateness. If we accept evolution, we have to
accept that in principle those things exist. Otherwise each of us will
have to start from scratch, from the amoeba, which is obviously a
colossal waste of the zillions of years of adaptive experimentation by
all those previous generations of protozoa, coelenterates, mollusks and
vertebrates. So the question is more factual--WHAT is modular? WHAT is
genetically determined? WHAT is innate?

T/C have the unfortunate tendency to over-reach with claims of  narrow
modularity, discounting the role of general-purpose mechanisms such as
memory & attention. These are, by the way, evolved & genetically
determined too. In this particular case, they want to micro-modularize
attention. What I hoped to point out is:
(i) that if they do it for animacy, they'll have to do it for
concreteness, compactness, motion, singularity, ego, etc., since all the
language data suggest that these are the more salient or "marked"
categories, and the attentional lit. suggests that animate brains pay
more attention to salient entities. (This is not really a human-specific
genetic trait, but an ANMIMATE trait. If T/C had experimented with rats,
they would have found exactly the same facts. Tho I think Skinner must
have already done that).
(ii) That there probably is a better module where the genetics of
salient categories already is expressed, perm,anent semantic memory (for
humans, the lexicon). So at the very least, T/C will have to argue why
the modularity is in the attentional system rather than in semantic memory.
And (iii) that there are several teams that have been working for a long
time on the neurology of attention (e.g. Schneider and Chein 2003;
Posner & Fan 2008). It is curious that T/C don't bother to look at the
highly specific results these team have reported about the
distributive-network(s) neurology of attention, just to see if their
micro-modularity claims are compatible with what is known about the
neurology of attention.

Cheers,  TG