intro to syntax query

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:11:33 UTC 2009

Hi all,

My department is developing an "Introduction to Syntax" course. We are an
English department made up of about 8 Applied linguists with one
Sociolinguists and myself (trained in generative syntax and  Anthropological
Linguistics). Our students are ESL and EFL with various degrees of fluency
(the dominate language is Spanish). The course will be for second and third
year students with perhaps one introduction to linguistics course and no
other linguistic experience. It will be taught in English. Our graduates
tend to matriculate into our MA program where they study Applied- or Socio-
Linguistics and generally go on to teach English in the public schools here
in Puerto Rico. A few do go on to get PhDs in Applied or Sociolinguistics.
My personal feeling is that to meet the needs of our students and our
community, that we should should have a "theory-neutral" (as much as that
might be possible) general introductory course...when I say neutral I am
thinking of the work of Noel Burton-Roberts "Analysing Sentences: An
Introduction to English Syntax"  (I realize we cannot teach a "theory" free
course, but I hope the spirit of the comment is clear). We have one member
who is strongly in favor of a "theoretical syntax" course instead in the
spirit of the Generative Program, and would like us to adopt "Simpler
Syntax" as the textbook.  With that bit of background I would like to ask:

1) Would anyone be kind enought to send a syllabus or two they have used or
are familiar with for any type of "introduction to syntax" course for
undergraduates in the second year with  little or no background in
linguistics;

2) Does anyone have any thoughts on what content such a course should
include (an introductory "general" or "theoretical" syntax course);

3) Does anyone have arguments for or against a "General Syntax" course vs. a
"Theoretical Syntax" course at the introductory level;

4) Any suggestions on introductory syntax books that have worked
particularly well?

Thank you for time,
Shannon