intro to syntax query

Wendy Smith wsmith at csusb.edu
Thu Apr 23 19:53:10 UTC 2009

Here at CSUSB, we are five linguists also in an English dept. Our graduate
lingusitics courses are discourse and pragmatics centered. The original
linguist who designed the "English Syntax" course did so because she felt
deficient in theoretical (i.e., Chomskyan) syntax because it was not covered
in her grad program at Berkeley. I have tried to a couple times over the
years to teach formal syntax, but ulimately gave it up because I simply
could not see the relevance. We have now changed the course's name to
English Grammar II and use George Yule's semantically-based grammar text,
which has its flaws but does spark inquiry. Wendy Smith