linguistic axioms

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Sun Jan 4 19:40:18 UTC 2009

Well, Roy Harris's "questioning" is a typical post-modernist ploy based
on the logical fallacy that "if meaning is not 100% absolute, it must
therefore be 100% relative". Many functionalists have indulged in this
dubious mode of reasoning, and some of us have even recanted leter.
Hopper's "emergent grammar" thesis is based on just this type of
reasoning. Sandy Thompson's theoretical conclusions about the status of
V-complements are founded on such reasoning. And I myself used this
illicit trick in an article  titled "Logic vs. pragmatics, with human
language as a referee" (J. of Pragmatics 1981). Nice title, but it was
an intellectually less-than-respectable argument then, and it still is
now.  Best,  TG

=======