pitfalls of complexity

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Fri Jul 3 00:10:57 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

You give a number of definitions yourself. Which is good. It shows you
are thinking about it:

"complex" = "nonuniform with multitudes of parts"

"specified complexity" = "with a code and system behind it."

"Randomness by definition is the lack of pattern."

I wonder where you get these definitions from? You structure your
argument around them. Do they mean anything? For instance, what does
"lack of pattern" mean?

You are absolutely right we need to think about what we mean by some
of these things. The senses in which I am using "randomness" and
"complexity" are closest to those of Kolmogorov and Chaitin. Wikipedia
will get us started:

"Kolmogorov randomness

Kolmogorov randomness (also called algorithmic randomness) defines a
string (usually of bits) as being random if and only if it is shorter
than any computer program that can produce that string. This
definition of randomness is critically dependent on the definition of
Kolmogorov complexity. To make this definition complete, a computer
has to be specified, usually a Turing machine. According to the above
definition of randomness, a random string is also an "incompressible"
string, in the sense that it is impossible to give a representation of
the string using a program whose length is shorter than the length of
the string itself. However, according to this definition, most strings
shorter than a certain length end up to be (Chaitin-Kolmogorovically)
random because the best one can do with very small strings is to write
a program that simply prints these strings."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov_complexity#Kolmogorov_randomness

You are astute in that there is an implicit assumption in my use of
these definitions. I am assuming language can be thought of as a
computable process. Some may object. Of course by contrast the
advantage of accepting these definitions is exactly that it does at
least hold out the hope, the first for years, of identifying a
computable process we can use to model language.

-Rob