pitfalls of complexity

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Fri Jul 3 01:19:24 UTC 2009

Yes, nice reference Jess. Fractals have something of the kind of
complexity I am talking about.

Here's a paper which explores the idea we might need to model language
as a fractal:

NEURO-FRACTAL COMPOSITION OF MEANING: TOWARD A COLLAGE
THEOREM FOR LANGUAGE
Simon D. Levy 1
levys at wlu.edu
Computer Science Department
Washington & Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450, USA

http://www.cs.wlu.edu/~levy/pubs/bics2004.pdf

That said, I don't think the complexity of language is fractal. The
power of language is more general than that. Wolfram has probably gone
into the kinds of processes which can generate random patterns most
exhaustively. Though I see no evidence he has considered the idea
natural language might be such a process..

-Rob