naming a language

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Thu Mar 19 18:07:13 UTC 2009

I have faced a similar problem with my dissertation language, a
dialect of Modern Aramaic. I don't know that there has been a lot of
discussion of names in studies of modern Aramaic dialects, but I have
pondered the question myself. Many scholars refer to the current
dialects as Neo-Aramaic, but some find Modern Aramaic a better name;
if we go by native speakers, we get different names for different
dialects, e.g. "Assyrian" vs. "Chaldean." My speaker identifies her
language as Sureth (my spelling), so should we use that? I don't know
if the term is used by speakers of other dialects. Perhaps we should
call them all Syriac ...

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374