{FUNKNET}new books on pragmatics and on kinship

David Kronenfeld david.kronenfeld at ucr.edu
Sun May 10 18:43:54 UTC 2009

Friends,
I just thought that, while I have a moment, I would circulate some
information regarding my two new books. Together with my 1996 Plastic
Glasses and Church Fathers (Oxford University Press) they offer a
coherent and organized approach to the semantics and pragmatics of
collectively held concepts, including the words of ordinary language.

Fanti Kinship and the Analysis of Kinship Terminologies (2009,
University of Illinois Press)
The publisher’s URL is
http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/33qps5ad9780252033704.html

Culture, Society, and Cognition: Collective Goals, Values, Action, and
Knowledge (2008, Mouton Series in Pragmatics No. 3, Mouton de Gruyter)
The publisher’s URL is
http://www.degruyter.de/cont/fb/sp/detailEn.cfm?id=IS-9783110206074-1

While the book is new, the studies that Fanti Kinship... brings together
cover an extended, and still continuing and evolving, research project
that began in 1965. This book
provides the solid and systematic empirical base for much of what
follows in the other two. Because of the special nature of kinship, and
the long history of its anthropological study, kinship provides a unique
laboratory for careful and well-defined study of instances of a wide
range of generally relevant linguistic and cultural phenomena. It offers
especially tight empirical control of reference and contrast, of
cultural norms and presuppositions, of conversational usage, and of the
interrelationship between terminological categorization and the
categorization of kinsfolk that is implicit in behavioral patterns. On
the other hand, particular important aspects of kinship seem unique to
kinship.
My first attempt to extend the theoretical insights of the kinship work
to general language and culture came in Plastic Glasses and Church
Fathers, which considers the semantics of ordinary, everyday
words--words which lacked the kinds of special constraints seen in the
terminological domains of kinship and color. Developed examples include
words for drinking vessels, political factions, warring religious
groups, and women’s and men’s household tasks in Los Angeles households.
The analytic approach, a prototype-extension one, makes use of
psychological work on conjunctivity, linguistic work on marked vs.
unmarked categories, and general aspects of cognitive ease.
Communicative function, context, and the role of form definitions figure
importantly in the discussion.
The other new book, Culture, Society, and Cognition, continues where
Plastic Glasses leaves off, and considers the pragmatics of collective
distributed knowledge systems, that is, the kinds of systems of cultural
knowledge that are required to understand the interactive and
communicative force of language as well as of non-language culture. The
book first explores the systematic implications of taking culture as the
parallel distributed processing system of variably distributed knowledge
that enables all levels of social systems to function and that enables
our division of labor. It then considers the kinds of productive
cultural knowledge systems that exist, paying extended attention to
“cultural models of action” in which knowledge (including how to do
stuff, who does which stuff, what stuff is good for, and so forth),
goals, values, and emotions are brought together in scenarios that we
use to construct our own actions and interpret the actions of others.

This is, I guess, sort of like a birth announcement--except that no
presents are expected !

Best,
David

--
David B. Kronenfeld             Phone   Office          951 827-4340
Department of Anthropology              Message 951 827-5524
Riverside, CA 92521             email   david.kronenfeld at ucr.edu
Department:     http://Anthropology.ucr.edu/
Personal:       http://pages.sbcglobal.net/david-judy/david.html