Deixis, Buhler and the Problem of Ambiguity

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon May 18 16:39:46 UTC 2009

I think that before we accept as gospel the idea that "from the infant's
point of view, deixis is as confusing as a hall of mirrors", we ought
perhaps look a bit more carefully at how infants actually acquire
communicative expression of reference, starting from deixis and going on
to other kinds of reference. The CHILDES transcript of communication in
the first year of life shows that the prerequisite to reference is the
care-giver's intense exercise in establishing JOINT ATTENTION. The
reason why this will become first deictic reference is obvious--in early
childhood, all communication is about here-and-now, you-and-I,
this-and-that accessible to both of us in the shared speech situation.
There is nothing confusing to the infant in these learning sessions. On
the contrary, the process capitalizes on the shared perceptual field and
the child's innate propensity to attend to salient objects--colorful,
compactly-shaped, fast-moving, or pointed to by the care-giver. But the
child is also acquiring another important prerequisite to reference--and
communication in general--during the first year of life: Considering
OTHER MINDS as having a perspective distinct from one's own
(inter-subjectivity; theory of mind). So the acquisition of referential
communication is deeply embedded in these early capacities.
Joint-attention sessions are indeed early theory-of-mind instructional
sessions.

Attracting the child attention to a referent within the shared situation
in early childhood is done by various pointing means--touching,
approaching, holding-bringing-and-showing, changing the child's
position, pointing, and eventually verbal deictic expressions. Verbs of
perception such as "see", "look", "ear" or "touch" are prominently used
in the care-giver's verbal "obligato" that accompanies these
joint-attention (or joint-reference) sessions. Early nominal vocabulary
is also prominently introduced at these sessions. And early uses of
determiners ('this', 'the', 'your', 'my') that are not motivated by
discourse but still by the deictic situation.

With the gradual change during the second year to communication about
non-present objects and future and past events, the move from deictic to
other types of reference is phased in, together with more sophisticated
grammatical devices that point at remembered or imagined referents.
Thus, while the domain of reference expands, the basic principle
established in early infancy--JOINT-ATTENTION--remains as the leitmotif
of all referential gestures, verbal & otherwise: Make sure that you & I
are attending to the same thing. This is, of course, deeply embedded in
the human capacity to consider other minds ("inter-subjectivity, Theory
of Mind, empathy). There is a beautiful recent book by Sarah Hrdy on the
evolution of this capacity ("Mother & Others") that I think is perhaps
worth reviewing here, maybe later. (And Ch. 8 "How children acquire
complex reference" of my recent "The Genesis of Syntactic Complexity"
deals in some detail with the child reference data during years 2-3-4).

Cheers, TG

In more sophisticated referential learning during the 2nd and 3rd year,