Deixis, Buhler and the Problem of Ambiguity (2)

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Tue May 19 03:10:04 UTC 2009

Tom wrote:
--The CHILDES transcript of communication in the first year of life shows
that the prerequisite to reference is the care-giver's intense exercise in
establishing JOINT ATTENTION. The reason why this will become first deictic
reference is obvious--in early childhood, all communication is about
here-and-now, you-and-I, this-and-that accessible to both of us in the shared speech
situation.   There is nothing confusing to the infant in these learning
sessions.--

Tom - Very appreciative of your wisdom on all this.   And I would not
contest with you on any of these points, except one -- because it is important to
my premise at this point -- though of course I always stand to be
corrected.

How could it be that: "There is nothing confusing to the infant in these
learning sessions"?

If that is the case, is it the only instance where experiencing a new
environment isn't confusing to a human (or an animal)?   Doesn't some confusion
come before every learning situation?

Perhaps it's too early to speak of ambiguity (my point) when we are only
talking about joint attention rather than using language, but certainly if
it's learned it should be a matter of hit or miss from early on.   Is mom
pointing to the toy bear or the ribbon on the bear or the chair the bear is on --
or is she pointing out that the bear is sitting on a chair -- or am I being
asked if I want the bear? Whether or not that confusion is disturbing or
not, it is fairly easy for mom to be unclear at this early stage in our
communications.

(After all, pointing or gesturing or saying "look at this" doesn't always
solve the problem of what someone is asking me to attend to, much less a
child.   Is it the lamp?   Is there something wrong with the lamp?   Is it the
lampshade?   Is it the bulb?   Oh, it's the fact that the light was left on,
wasting electricity.   Never would have guessed.)

In any case, if I'd guess what might motivate a child to seek joint
attention, one thing would be that it to some degree alleviates confusion.
Attention is after all as much a matter of exclusion as anything else.   We need
to see the forest and not the trees, or vice versa.   Joint attention gives a
child something specific to attend to, rather than attending to everything
that's shiny or colored or in motion -- and even in a poor environment, that
can be many many things.

A bigger question.   Let's imagine a child who is never invited at all to
join in joint attention with a care giver.   Would such a child be incapable
of learning language?

We have a simple technical, mechanical reason to avoid gross ambiguity in
the language we speak with one another.   Otherwise we can't share the same
words or even the same syntax.   I suspect that the inability to share
attention is an even deeper mechanical problem and one that would undermine
language use.   And to that extent I don't think I am disagreeing with you.

Regards and thanks,
steve long