Deixis, Buhler and the Problem of Ambiguity (2)

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Tue May 19 04:12:26 UTC 2009

All higher cognitive capacities (cortex, mid-brain), in us as well as in
other animals, require an interaction between innate capacities and
learning experience ("triggers"). This was, by the way, Kant's
conclusion about (what he considered, and I guess I do too) the futile
eternal argument between rationalists & empiricists. So he was 'only' a
philosopher, but he got it right anyway. In the case of your question, I
hope nobody will ever do the crucial experiment with children. Sarah
Hrdy describes some horrible experiments of this type done on children
in the 1930's (raising them in the first few months without affective
human touch). Thank God we have the Human Subject Committees nowadays.
But similar experiments were done on newborn kittens. If raised for the
first 90 days in the dark, their visual system will never develop.
Likewise with barn owls, where visual deprivation in the first 3 months
will prevent them for developing their AUDITORY spatial orientation
(vision trains audition). Nobody would claim that mammal & avian vision
is not a highly innate capacity. But it still need the triggering of
experience. Only old-brain (vagus, pons, medula) functions are fully
automated, and on line, at birth. Slow neurological maturation is the
hallmark of learning species. Best,  TG