Deixis, Buhler and the Problem of Ambiguity (3)

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Tue May 19 04:00:29 UTC 2009

In a message dated 5/18/09 12:54:28 PM, dlevere at ilstu.edu writes:
-- And of course Mike Tomasello (whom Hrdy acknowledges) has been talking
> about this stuff for years, looking at cross-species data among
> different primates.--

Dan - Christine Kenneally, in her book "The First Word" tells of how
Tomasello was "brought over" to the belief that chimps do point by a video
presentation by David Leavens, where a chimp consistently points and Leavens
consistently retrieves.   Afterwards, Leavens said "I submit there is a
well-trained primate in this video, but it is not the chimpanzee."

Tomasello thinks that chimps rarely point in the wild because they are not
as cooperative a species as humans.   However, I do not know of any research
that proves that humans point in the wild, either -- if by "in the wild" we
mean not contact with human culture.

Leavens, Hopkins and Bard published a wonderful paper in 2005 called
"Understanding the Point of Chimpanzee Pointing" where they quote the title of an
article by George Butterworth , "Pointing is the Royal Road to Language for
Babies."

On the other hand, Stephen Levinson barely mentions "ostensive definition"
in his article in the Handbook of Pragmatics and he denies chimps can really
point or understand a pointing gesture, citing Kita and Povinelli.

But once again Levinson treats deixis not as a basis of language, but
rather as a special class of expressions.   That is why he argues that deixis
appears late in development in part of the article which reads as follows (and
includes the line about hall of mirrors that Tom objected to):

"Linguists have argued similarly, that deixis is the source of reference,
i.e. deictic reference is ontogenetically primary to other kinds (Lyons
1975). But the actual facts concerning the acquisition of deictic expressions
paint a different picture, for the acquisition of many aspects of deixis is
quite delayed (Tanz 1980, Wales 1986), and even though demonstratives figure
early, they are often not used correctly (see Clark 1978). This is hardly
surprising because, from the infant’s point of view, deixis is as confusing as a
hall of mirrors: my “I” is your “you”, my “this” is your “that”, my “
here”, your “there”, and so forth . The demonstratives aren’t used correctly
in English till well after the pronouns “I” and “You”, or indeed till
after deictic “in front of”/ “in back of”, that is not till about 4 (Tanz
1980:145)."

Again, Levinson is defining deixis narrowly, but that it is fairly common
in the literature.

regards,
steve long