Deixis, Buhler and the Problem of Ambiguity (4)

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Tue May 19 04:14:00 UTC 2009

In a message dated 5/18/09 3:03:43 PM, twood at uwc.ac.za writes:
> Your mistake IMHO lies in
> thinking that for reference to occur it must involve a concrete, unitary
> object. Not so. One can refer to an utterance, a memory, a thought, a
> text, a dream.

Tahir - Not my mistake.   The use of "secondary deixis" as pertaining to
abstractions rather than concrete object that can be literally be pointed to
appears to be somewhat common.   I cited a paper on diachronic changes that
used the term, and I believe that Grenoble uses it in this way in her paper
on Deixis in Russian.

My point is that whether a reference is to "an utterance, a memory, a
thought, a text, a dream" it will always carry some degree of ambiguity when it
is shared in language.   And the more abstract the reference ("liberty",
"knowledge", "thinking") the more likely the ambiguity.

regards,
steve long