Peer reviewing

Bill Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Thu Apr 1 14:42:21 UTC 2010

Dear all,

    I endorse Lachlan's view about the role of the referee. I have not
had the experience that Martin apparently has of being told to revise
a paper in a direction I didn't want to take it. (Maybe it's because
I submit to different journals.) As Dan said, even negative
criticisms improve the manuscript in the end. And the author can
always explain to the editor why certain recommendations were not
followed - I have not had an editor challenge me in those
circumstances.

    On the other hand, as a referee for many journals, there is value
for "revise and resubmit". I have very rarely seen a manuscript that
can be accepted in its original form (and editors have taken the same
view of my own submissions as well). One should not recommend "revise
and resubmit" unless one really thinks the paper could be accepted
upon reasonable revision (if radical revision is believed necessary,
then "reject" is a better recommendation - resubmission would really
be a new submission). But the main value for "revise and resubmit" is
that one doesn't know how much an author really will revise the
manuscript. Not infrequently, I receive "revised" manuscripts which
had significant problems where the author has merely added a few
footnotes to the original submission. In those cases, I do feel that
I have wasted my precious time, as Lachlan puts it, and I will
recommend rejection. But I do not know in advance which author will
take the recommendations seriously and which will not.

Bill