Peer reviewing

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Thu Apr 1 15:00:14 UTC 2010

Bill Croft wrote:
> But the main value for "revise and resubmit" is that one doesn't know
> how much an author really will revise the manuscript. Not
> infrequently, I receive "revised" manuscripts which had significant
> problems where the author has merely added a few footnotes to the
> original submission. In those cases, I do feel that I have wasted my
> precious time, as Lachlan puts it, and I will recommend rejection.
What Bill describes as "the main value" of R&R is the main problem, in
my view.

In the cases mentioned above, the author probably limited herself to
adding a few footnotes because she simply didn't agree with the reviewer
that "the manuscript had significant problems". And often the author is
right, not the reviewer. Reviewers are not more knowledgeable than
authors; in fact, they generally know much less about the paper's topic
than the author.

But predicting whether the editor will overrule the reviewers or not is
very difficult, so should the author resubmit? This is extremely tricky,
and I think many papers are delayed because the author is at a loss what
to do: Follow a reviewer's proposals she is unhappy with, or try a
different journal?

So I think a new approach that only has "accept" and "reject" would make
everybody's lives easier.

Martin