voice and race recognition

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Wed Dec 29 01:28:15 UTC 2010

On 12/28/2010 9:13 AM, john at research.haifa.ac.il wrote:
> Related to this, it seems to be practically impossible for White
> Americans to convincingly mimic the speech of Black Americans, at least to the
> extent that Black Americans think that they are actually Black on the basis of
> their voice--a project I was working on during the 1980s spent a good deal of
> time trying to find such White Americans with absolutely no success, I mean not
> a single person.
     I can't really think of one either.  There are some people who,
hearing Howie Hawkins on the radio, thought he was Black, but I'm not
sure if any of them were Black themselves:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wamc/news.newsmain/article/0/2706/1712860/WAMC.News/Third-party.candidates.discuss.NYS.race

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com