"Hear" as "understand"

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Mon Feb 1 19:58:40 UTC 2010

English has something quite similar: A person complains about
something, and the interlocutor says "I hear you, man." This seems to
express sympathy, but also understanding. People also will say "I
hear what  you're saying," but again, it seems to be a mixture of
understanding and a message that one is taking the speaker seriously.
Further exploration might be in order.