"Hear" as "understand"

Lukas Pietsch lukas.pietsch at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Feb 1 21:07:15 UTC 2010

Old High German "firneman" (> Modern German "vernehmen") might be an
example. Apparently from a third, even more concrete original meaning
"take in"; hence "hear"; hence as another meaning in OHG "understand".
Although it might be possible that both the "hear" and the "understand"
meaning could be independently derived in parallel from the literal
"take in".

Lukas