"Hear" as "understand"

martin.hilpert martin.hilpert at frias.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 2 08:31:48 UTC 2010

Lindström and Wide (2005) discuss the Swedish 'you know'-type discourse
particles /ser du/ ‘do you see’, /hör du/ ‘do you hear’, /förstår du/
‘do you understand’, and /vet du/ ‘do you know’. Maybe that is not 'hear
as understand', but there is definitely some 'see vs. hear'.

Here's the full refrence: Lindström, Jan and Camilla Wide. 2005. Tracing
the origins of a set of discourse particles.Swedish particles of the
type you know. Journal of historical pragmatics. 6.2: 211–236.

Best, --Martin