Cross-linguistic categories - what are they?

Balthasar Bickel autotype at uni-leipzig.de
Fri Mar 12 09:20:02 UTC 2010

I agree that comparative notions are like technical instruments for capturing distributions --- in fact I made this very point explicitly a few years ago -- see http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~bickel/research/papers/universals_cels_bb.pdf). As such, they are clearly "conventionalist".
But I don't understand how this is in opposition to being "psychologically real". The way I understand it, something is psychologically real if it can be demonstrated through psychological research, i.e. captured by the metalanguage of psychology, a disciplines which uses "conventionalist" instruments just like we do.

From this point of view, the question of whether our descriptive concepts are psychologically real or not is a purely empirical one. Sometimes, linguists' terms correspond well to the terms you need in order to best describe what's going on in the brain (i.e. what we can measure through e.g. ERPs etc.) or what drives pathways of acquisition, sometimes not. Given this, we are still well-advised to try and develop "psychologically adequate" metalanguages.

Balthasar

www.uni-leipzig.de/~bickel
www.uni-leipzig.de/~autotyp