Cross-linguistic categories - what are they?

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 12 20:42:41 UTC 2010

Dear FUNK people,

I have been debating, and vacillating, whether to join in this
discussion. First because Esa Itkonen had already raised the very same
issues ca. a year ago, and we all had a spirited go at it. But mostly
because this discussion reminds me of a book I have just finished
reading, Dave Geary's "Male Female: The Evolution of Human Sex
Differences". This may sound less-than-obvious to many of you, but the
history of linguistics for the past 100 years is eerily reminiscent of
the evolution of male coalitions in Homo sapiens, with inter-coalition
warfare and intra-coalition power-struggles--and inevitable splits of
new coalitions (see DeWaal's "Chimpanzee Politics", 1982).
Let's see: Bloomfield challenged his teacher Hermann Paul's broad-scoped
functional-typological coalition and split it, in the process radically
narrowing down the domain of investigation to structure on its own and
"inductive generalizations". Then Chomsky challenged Bloomfied's
structuralist coalition and split it, creating a variant of
structuralism--but with apriori Platonic universals propped upon rather
frail empirical legs. Soon, Ross-Lakoff-Postal-McCawley challenged
Chomsky's coalition and pulled out the Gen Sem faction, challenging
autonomous syntax but adding only semantics to the relevant explanartory
mix.
Then a bunch of us in the 1970s banded together into a new coalition,
enlarging the relevant domain of structure's connectivity to
communicative function (discourse), cross-language typology (diversity),
diachrony (emergence), neuro-cognition (the processor), ontogeny (child
language) and phylogeny (evolution). We were deeply interested in
universals, but only if they were explanatory and empirically-grounded.
It never occurred to us that "theory" was a dirty word, only that
"theory" was not synonymous with "formalism". Our notion of "theory"
demanded both empirical foundations and explanatory connectivity. But we
were also deeply interested in structure--how could a linguist not
be?--provided it were studied and explained in its relevant broad
connectivity. This was, transparently, a return to the wide-scoped
agenda of Hermann Paul, even if we hadn't read his work. So now a new
coalition of alpha males are splitting off and, in a reprise of
Bloomfield's maneuver, are narrowing the domain once again. This history
is, leastwise to me, profoundly depressing. Try as I might, I find it
hard to tell scientific substance from coalitional warfare.
One of the worst features of Chomsky's legacy to linguistics is his
extreme reductionism, his insistence that you are either an empiricist
or a rationalist, an inductivist or a deductivist, a universalist or
variationist, a theorist or a data-monger, a formalist or a
functionalist--with no room in the middle. As Esa and many others have
pointed out, these are false dichotomies in the methodology of science,
where an intensive cyclic interaction takes place among multiple
strategies. But Chomsky's reductionist gambit also mis-represents mature
theory-building, where universality and variability are inseparable,
being both the products of development (‛emergence') in diachrony,
acquisition or evolution.
Perhaps some day we will remember to remember that neither the
structure-function ‛semiotic' relation nor the conundrum of
universality-diversity, nor the central role of development in mediating
the inter-dependence between these seeming extremes, are specific to
linguistics. They have all been noted long ago in biology and evolution.
For a biologically-based phenomenon such as language/culture to cleave
to one extreme against the other, and to periodically resurrect these
tired old false dichotomies, is not only counter-productive. It is also,
perversely enough, an unintended validation of Chomsky's disruptive agenda.

Peace, TG