Is Peer reviewing so essential?

Daniel L. Everett dlevere at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:53:39 UTC 2010

I think peer review by and large not only works very well, but is an excellent teaching tool. I have frequently taught courses on writing for publication in linguistics in which I begin with a ms of mine that has been labeled 'revise and resubmit' by a journal editor. I let students read it without telling them what the judgement was. Then I show them the comments from the journal reviewers. They are shocked at how, let us say, direct some reviewers are in their criticisms. Then I show them the ms after it has been corrected to respond to the reviewers' objections. No matter what they thought of the original version, they all agree that the final, accepted ms is superior and that the peer-reviewers were very helpful to the process, even the particularly nasty ones.

This exercise also has the effect of reducing the fear of submission that some graduate students have. It makes them feel like 'Gee, if Dan can get published, anybody can. Even me.' And that of course is exactly what I am trying to get across in the class about publishing and the usefulness of peer review.

Dan