Chomsky - different perspective

alex gross language at sprynet.com
Sat Nov 13 22:18:40 UTC 2010

> The other thing that gets me is why so many people care so much about
> separating themselves from other animals, and why they assume that
> everyone else cares.  No offense, but to me that's one of the least
> interesting research questions I can think of.  Anyone who wants to
> research it can go ahead, but they don't have to belittle my reasons for
> studying language because they're not the same as theirs.

I agree completely, Angus, I wonder if these people may not be closet
creationists without realizing it. The glory of Darwin's discoveries was in
fact rooted in proving how connected we are to  animals, after all we share
so very much with them, including ingesting, digesting & excreting our food,
sexual reproduction, same-sex sexual couplings, tribal and/or species
self-protection, merely listing the obvious...

Oddly enough, I believe our links with animals also include language--as I
have painstakingly maintained ever since 1993 language can be readily
interpreted as a development out of spray-markings, from the chemical spray
of simple single-cell creatures to the scent markings of higher animals to
the sound markings we call language. At each stage the number & variety of
messages becomes greater but at the cost of creating species- or
clan-specific systems of sound markings not understood by other species or
clans, as the Tower of Babel falls & languages become "foreign" to one
another.

I developed this outlook at least a decade before the Evolang crew started
their boondoggle, encouraging academics from any field, often those with
slight or shallow backgrounds in language, to hurl a dart at the board by
advancing their own theories about how language began. Clearly many of these
savants felt the need of some "higher" theory of language, something the
Discovery Channel could bill as "the crucial step that separated man from
all other creatures."

I have provided what I consider irrefutable proof that language evolved from
spray & scent markings at  conferences of linguists and translators. I have
simply asked the members of these audiences to hold up their hands to their
mouths and whisper into their palms for 20 seconds while I went on speaking.
Invariably they found that their palms were covered by a film of spray.

People desperately want to believe that somehow our existence on this planet
is high & dry & abstract & sterile & if not eternal at least relatively
permanent, unlike the existence of animals around us.

But face it, everything about our lives is moist, liquid, clammy, messy &
impermanent--our weather, our lakes, our oceans, our meat, our fruit and
vegetables, our sex drives, our entire bodies.  So why wouldn't the origins
of language be moist and clammy too?

Offensive?  Sure, for some people.  But there are people who find offensive
almost everything that isn't high-sounding & abstact. Perhaps they even find
life itself offensive, which couldn't be more fluid.  As the cliche has it,
life is a sexually transmitted disease that is invariably fatal.

All the best to you & everyone!

alex

PS: Two of my pieces advancing this theory of language origin:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/ariadne.htm#totop

http://languag2.home.sprynet.com/f/evidence.htm#top

The principal purpose of language is not communication but to persuade
ourselves
that we know what we are talking about, when quite often we do not.