rarity of preposition stranding

Frederick J Newmeyer fjn at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 1 18:42:13 UTC 2010

Thanks, Tom,

I'll check out the references that you cite, but your posting has me a bit confused. It is not clear to me from what you wrote why P-stranding is so rare. Or are you saying that it is not rare? Are you tying the rise of P-stranding to the shift from SOV to SVO? If so, it should be much more common than it is in Indo-European and in other languages that have undergone the same word order change. But in modern SVO Indo-European languages, it occurs only in Germanic and with one or two prepositions in French. So I'm not sure what you mean when you write that stranding occurs MASSIVELY in Romance and Germanic (and in I-E in general). Surely that is not true. Where is there stranding in Romance at all outside of French? In general in Romance, the preposition and its object have to be fronted together.

Furthermore, we had stranding in some environments in Old English (eg with topicalization), even though that language was still SOV. As English developed, there arose more and more stranding environments (eg with wh-movement and passive). I'm not sure why this extension of P-stranding would follow from what you wrote about word order change. But in German, I believe that the exact opposite happened. Even though German is 'less SOV/more SVO' than it was 1000 years ago, stranding has basically disappeared.

Best,

--fritz

Frederick J. Newmeyer
Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University
[for my postal address, please contact me by e-mail]