rarity of preposition stranding

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Fri Oct 1 18:50:43 UTC 2010

  Just to add to Fritz' point about German:
There is some preposition stranding in colloquial German, but the
preposition ends up in a funny place.
English: What does this have something to do *with*?
Danish: Hvad har det noget at gøre *med*?
Colloquial German (at least from where I am from): Was hat das was *mit*
zu tun?
Standard German: Wo*mit* hat das (et)was zu tun?
and
English: Who does this have something to do *with*?
Danish: Hvem har det noget at gøre *med*?
Colloquial German: Wem hat das was *mit* zu tun?
Standard German: *Mit* wem hat das etwas zu tun?
Your turn.
Hartmut