Chomsky

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Mon Oct 25 22:39:50 UTC 2010

I am referring to humans who were not exposed to language and therefore
grew up feral, and to other humans who have intact brains but
underdeveloped social skills, and who therefore remain non-verbal,
despite normal exposure to language. I am also referring to indivduals who
experienced sensory deprivation during the early years, and behaved like
feral children, until a different way to expose them to language was
found. People like Helen Keller.

I am not referring to "whole populations." I am talking about individuals
and the environmental effect on them of exposure to language.

Innateness, if it were true as claimed for language, would mean that
despite lack of exposure, the trait would manifest. Eye color is innate.
Language is not. Language is learned.

    --Aya

http://hubpages.com/hub/Language-is-Learned