Chomsky

Ellen Contini-Morava elc9j at virginia.edu
Tue Oct 26 00:36:10 UTC 2010

As to whether function without structure is utter nonsense, that depends
on what you mean by "structure".  If the "structure" emerges from a
theory that does not take functional motivation into account, then a
functionalist can justifiably question its validity.  I would also
hesitate to describe anything Erica García said as nonsense.  For a
meticulously worked out and functionally grounded analysis, check out
her last work, the Motivated Syntax of Arbitrary Signs (John Benjamins
2009).  [Full disclosure:  I'm a co-editor of the book series it appears
in.]

Ellen

--
Ellen Contini-Morava