Chomsky - Bill Bright's opinion, and my two cents

Lise Menn lise.menn at Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 26 17:02:12 UTC 2010

Sometime in the 1990s, I asked Bill Bright what he thought Chomsky's
contributions to linguistics were - and remember, Bill was among those
who felt more and more miserable at UCLA as the department became
increasingly formalist in the 1970s and '80s. When he was editor of
Language, he had been attacked -sometimes quite angrily - by both pro-
and anti-Chomskyan folks - as he attempted to preserve the journal's
neutrality.  He said he figured that if he was getting it from both
sides, he was doing his job.

	Here's what Bill said, to the best of my recollection (yes, I should
have written it down, but it was only a dinner-table conversation):
	First, Chomsky brought renewed attention to syntax; most of the major
work on language structures {until Harris, who was a lot harder to
read - LM] stopped at morphology and morphophonemics.
	Second, he worked on an extremely widely and well-known language,
English. People could argue about it from their own knowledge, and
test claims easily.  This really broke things open in a way we have
forgotten; how many linguists were native speakers of Menomini?
	And third, he got a lot of people excited about linguistics; new
departments were founded like crazy. We owe him a big debt of thanks
for that.

My own two cents: Charismatic figures who open up fields (Freud,
Schliemann, Levi-Strauss, Piaget...) do/say a lot of things that later
generations of critical thinkers rightly deplore, or at least find to
be oversimplified.  But there has to be a first approximation before
there can be refinement.  I'm in my 40th year of explaining why
Jakobson was wrong - Marilyn Vihman and I have a paper about the
development of features in the forthcoming Benjamins volume edited by
Clements & Ridouane - but if Roman Osipovitch hadn't made his grand
theoretical claims, who today would even be interested in child
phonology?

	Lise

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
home page:	  http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder