analysis: unhappiness

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Thu Sep 9 02:31:31 UTC 2010

if you-all will forgive me for a little advance self-promotion, my new
book, Psycholinguistics: Introduction and Applications, will be
available from Plural Publishing by the end of the year.  It's
intended to be completely accessible for anyone (linguist,
psychologist, speech-language pathologist, language teacher...) who
needs to be able to think about brain and language, and what Tom says
about experimental techniques and word storage is one of the things I
explore, starting from analyses of slips of the tongue. Also a chapter
each on the brain, reading, language development, aphasia, and second
language learning.
	You can see the full table of contents on the web page for the book:
http://www.pluralpublishing.com/publication_psl.htm
	Best regards to all, Lise

On Sep 8, 2010, at 7:03 PM, Tom Givon wrote:

> Right on, Lise. And further, there is a well-known experimental
> technique called "semantic priming" that is admirably well suited
> for investigating whether when a language used hears "unhappiness",
> "happy" and "happiness" are activated ('come to mind'). This
> technique will probably not answer the question of the differential
> bracketing (un[happiness] vs. [unhappy]ness). And it is too rough to
> answer questions of directionality (does "unhappy" prime "happy"
> stronger than vice versa?). But it does tends to suggest that we
> don't store complex words in total disconnect from their parts, at
> least not as frequent adult users. And that phonological similarity
> (shared parts of words) has semantic consequences.  Cheers,  TG
>
> ==============
>

> Lise Menn wrote:
>> So we see an important phenomenon: Tacit knowledge really IS tacit,
>> and 'intuitions' are very poor guides to what our minds are doing
>> when we are using the patterns of our language as speakers/
>> hearers.  Introspection cannot replace observation of actual usage
>> and psycholinguistic experiments; it can only act as a suggestion
>> of where to dig.  After all, we can't figure out vision or
>> digestion by thinking about how they feel, although we certainly
>> have to account for subjective feelings of contrast and
>> indigestion. The same is true for language,  mutatis mutandis.
>>
>> On Sep 8, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Johanna Rubba wrote:
>>
>>> One thing that consistently occurs in my intro linguistics classes
>>> is that at least half of my students do not analyze complex words
>>> the way a linguist would -- many would analyze "unhappiness" as
>>> "un" + "happiness." They make such analyses over and over. It
>>> makes one wonder, of course, about how much native-speaker
>>> intuition is in agreement with some linguistic analyses. I can
>>> *feel* that the analysis is [[un-happy]-ness], but, apparently,
>>> large numbers of native speakers cannot.
>>>
>>> Another thing I often find is that many students cannot locate
>>> either primary or (especially) secondary stress in words. This is
>>> very bizarre, considering that they produce the stresses correctly
>>> and hear them correctly in others' speech. So many are
>>> unsuccessful at this that I have stopped requiring them to find
>>> stress in words on tests. I give them tricks like singing the word
>>> and monitoring for the highest-pitched syllable, but the tricks
>>> don't work. That many students can't be tone-deaf.
>>>
>>> Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
>>> Professor, Linguistics
>>> Linguistics Minor Advisor
>>> English Dept.
>>> Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
>>> San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
>>> Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
>>> Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
>>> Dept. fax: 805-756-6374
>>> E-mail: jrubba at calpoly.edu
>>>

>> Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
>> 1625 Mariposa Ave    Fax: 303-413-0017
>> Boulder CO 80302
>> http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/index.html
>> Professor Emerita of Linguistics
>> Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
>> University of  Colorado
>>
>> Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
>> Fellow, Linguistic Society of America
>>
>> Campus Mail Address:
>> UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science
>>
>> Campus Physical Address:
>> CINC 234
>> 1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave       Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado