Associative plurals

Yokoyama, Olga olga at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 5 04:01:43 UTC 2011

In Japanese, you can add them to kinship terms as well (o-kaa-san-tachi 'mother et al'). In the 19th century Russian peasant letters (by speakers of North Russian dialect)) I have found a similar phenomenon with a subject personal name in sg but with pl verb agreement (e.g. John were, meaning 'John and wife were').

Olga T. Yokoyama

Professor

Department of Applied Linguistics

University of California, Los Angeles