Associative plurals

David Tuggy david_tuggy at sil.org
Tue Apr 5 23:04:50 UTC 2011

Yes, a good example of an associative. But if, as you say, it can’t be
interpreted as a plural, it’s a bit different from the OrizabaNawatl
case, where the plural and the associative are morphologically
identical. (Normal ON plurals, I failed to note, also allow marking by
“agreement” only with no nominal suffix, in many cases.) -tachi would be
analogous to English suffixes like those mentioned by other posters
-n’em or even full phrases like “and those associated with her” in that
it gives an associative meaning without so forcibly suggesting that this
is the same thing as a normal plural.

—dt